Course by: American Institute of Afghanistan Studies
The Farsi Language Course is a seven-week program that is offered online to those interested to learn elementary level Farsi. The course will enable the interested participants to understand the basics of Farsi language such as the alphabets, vowels, pronunciation, writing alphabets and making short conversation and sentences. Please see below for course objective and learning outcomes of this course.
The Farsi and Pashto online course provides a preliminary understanding of the Farsi and Pashto languages in the areas of reading, writing, and communication to enable the learners read and write short sentences and small paragraphs and acquire the ability to make short conversations. It will also pave the way for intermediary and advanced learning courses in both languages.
At the end of the Farsi and Pashto Online Course, the participants will be able to:
- Construct an understanding of the structure of Farsi and Pashto alphabets and their sounds.
- Read and write short sentences and paragraphs in Farsi and Pashto and make preliminary discussions in both languages.
- Read headings of the local newspapers, magazines and scholarly research and be able to conduct further research on their topic of interest.
- Gain an understanding of the Afghan culture and norms that will be used for interpreting social contexts and local scholarly products on Afghanistan.
The Farsi and Pashto online courses provides the learners with a series of inter-connected lessons that improves participants’ reading, writing, listening, communication skills, conversation and an unbiased understanding of the Afghan culture and social contexts. More specifically, the course will empower the participants to learn the below skills:
- Understand the overall structure of Farsi and Pashto languages
- Understand the meaning of vocabulary including nouns, verbs, pronouns and phrases
- Read words, short sentences and paragraphs and understand their meaning in the context
- Demonstrate the alphabets and recognize them in the text
- Understand the use of essential grammatical structures when reading sentences
- Improve pronunciation through communication with the text
- Make short conversations having learned words and their meaning
- Learn the context to begin a conversation
- Understand the structure of conversations in daily life and workplace
- Write the complete Farsi and Pashto alphabets, words, short sentences and paragraphs
- Ability to write words of choice using the sounds of alphabets
- Ability to spell words using the vowel sounds
- Ability to learn the pronunciation of words as listening to the explanation of the lesson
- Ability to differentiate between similar sounds of alphabets
- Ability to spell words through listening to audio and video material
Medium of Instruction
The courses will be presented within an online template using different mediums of online instruction such as video-recorded sessions, online-guided discussion, lectures, graphics, video and photographs. The course presenter will record video sessions on each thematic unit of the participant’s workbook and demonstrate it through visual means to enable participants understand and master the lesson.
Teaching and Learning
Online instruction is rarely practiced in Afghanistan given the limited resources such as Internet bandwidth and the very high cost of Internet. The AIAS online instruction course will be few of the online programs in Afghanistan which is offered online.
The teaching will happen through a participant’s workbook, video-recorded sessions with description of each session provided in the form of text that will be uploaded on internet together with the video sessions. The teachers will also set Skype calls with the participants in short time intervals to assist them with their assignments and to solve problems.
Assessment is an integral part of instruction. The AIAS online Farsi and Pashto courses will use different types of assessment tools such as quizzes, homework, and an end of the course examination. Further details on the assessment will be provided within the syllabus for each course.
Teaching will happen through a participant workbook, video-recorded sessions that explains the lessons through very practical approaches and demonstration to allow course participants master the content and meet the course learning outcomes.
The content selection will be coordinated with the Farsi and Pashto instructors. However, the emphasis will be on the following areas:
- Farsi and Pashto alphabets, sounds, their demonstration and the way they are spelled
- Approaches towards reading combined words, sentences and short paragraphs
- Making short conversation and understanding the context of a conversation
- Communication skills
- Introduction to the grammar